Mr. Sunday Dare, Minister of Youths and Sports Development, has revealed that the federal government will soon raise the monthly stipend of corps members. According to him, President Muhammadu Buhari has been presented with an improved proposal for the increase of their stipend.
He was speaking on the sidelines in Abuja on Monday, following the inauguration of committee members for the 50th NYSC celebration in May 2023. Dare stated that the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Director General, Yeshua Ahmed, and management staff had forwarded to the president an improved welfare (allowances) package for corps members. NYSC Allowance to be increased?
He stated, “Our youth corps members’ stipends have been raised from N19,000 to N33,000, exceeding the minimum wage.” And this contributes to their welfare. Currently, the NYSC under the direction of the DG and the management staff have submitted a proposal to the president to improve their uniform and increase their various allowances.
“If this receives the necessary approval, even SAED (Skills Acquisition and Entrepreneurship Development) training will extend beyond three weeks and span the duration of youth service. Therefore, these are the areas covered.
This committee will also make recommendations on reforms and improvements not only for the welfare of NYSC members, but also for the system that drives and maintains the organisation.
Earlier in his speech, the minister stated that the committee’s terms of reference include the following: articulating plans towards the commissioning of the NYSC ICT Centre as part of the 50th anniversary celebration and advising management on the best means of equipping the centre; calling for submissions from Corps members for a logo and mascot to commemorate the anniversary; and harmonizing reports of committees on the Review of NYSC Composite Policy Document, NYSC Conditions of Service, and the NYSC Bye-Laws.
NYSC Allowance And What Should Be Done To Improve The Programme.
- Increase the monthly allowance given to NYSC members to help cover living expenses and transportation costs
- Provide additional allowances for NYSC members who are posted to remote or rural areas with limited access to basic amenities
- Offer a one-time bonus to NYSC members who complete their service year with exceptional performance and impact on their host communities
- Provide subsidized healthcare for NYSC members to cover basic medical expenses and emergencies during their service year
- Introduce a scholarship program for NYSC members who wish to pursue further studies or entrepreneurship after completing their service year.