After elongated meeting with Honorable Minister of Youth and Sports development Mr Sunday Dare and Director General NYSC, Brig Gen S Ibrahim, it was indeed a productive engagement with the delegation of NANS, led by the Revolutionary President of NANS Comrade Asefon Sunday Dayo.
The conditional age waiver for Nigerian Students who are due for NYSC Mobilization but unable to go for NYSC because of COVID 19 in 2019/2020 and 2020/2021 academic session.
Improve welfare and security of Corp members accross the nation.
Incessant Youth reorientation against crime and other social vices.
Consideration of Student community as integral part of Youth Constituency and reconsideration of NANS and supervision of her activities by Youth ministry as obtainable in the past.
Special consideration for Students as beneficiaries of Nigeria Youth investment fund and other programmes and activities of the ministry.
Students involvement and role in national security and most critically safety of schools and campues across the country.
Also, ministerial appeal to state governors to stop with immediate effect the arbitrary increase of state own schools fees as they tend to force many Students to drop out, push more Youth into crime and criminality which in turn compound insecurity in the country
The above made the subject of the discussion and the honorable minister whose passion for Youth development is unprecedented graciously approved and promise to work out all modalities to ascend to NANS requests likewise the Students-friendly DG NYSC allaigned.
The Hon Minister responded as follows:
1. Modalities for age waiver shall be fine tuned with DG NYSC and present to President Muhammadu Buhari for approval.
2. From record, NANS walk away voluntarily from Federal Ministry of Youth and sport development as supervising ministry some 20 years ago, with obvious statistics of youth defination 15 – 25 or 18 to 35, 75% of young people under this age bracket are obviously found on campuses schooling hence Nigerian Students and her mother body NANS are part of ministry of Youth responsibility hence as we walk in now, we should consider our unconditional reabsorption and heartly welcome back of NANS to her ministry, a file be open immediately for NANS in the ministry to resume supervision of association’s activities.
3. All ministry of Youth programmes, activities and initiatives including next batch of Nigeria Youth investment fund shall feature consideration for eligible Nigeria Students.
4. The ministry shall support NANS to hold a critical national Student security summit featuring experts and professionals in various security agencies to develop student/youth personnel security skill and institutional security reintegration.
5. The honorable Minister shall approach the National Economy Council which is the assembly of state governors under the chairmanship of His Excellency, Prof Yemi Osibanjo Vice President FRN to itemise the effect of arbitrary school fee increase on national security and call for serious caution.
Conclusively, the ministry in the spirit of expression of commitment and significant welcoming the return of her most sensitive and agile constituent shall deliver official website to the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) which shall be under the management of the ministry with delegated Officials of NANS, this will serve as authentication of legitimate leadership of the association who validly emerge through a free, fair and credible democratic process henceforth.
NANS NATIONAL MEDIA AND PUBLICITY